Northwest Treasures ~ NorthwestRockAndFossil.com ~ email@example.com ~ 425-488-6848
Earth Science for Middle School Live Online Class, January, 2022!
Northwest Treasures is offering a *LIVE* online, interactive Earth Science class designed for your middle school student (4-8 grades). Twelve weeks, beginning January 11, 2022. Please note: enrollment is limited to 20 participants.
Teacher: Patrick Nurre, geologist. (Read more about Patrick Nurre here.)
For: Middle school (grades 4-8)
Course description: 12 one-hour weekly classes, taught live. Students will be learning the basic components of understanding Earth Science and Earth History from a Biblical perspective. Course work will cover rocks, minerals, landforms, volcanoes, fossils, dinosaurs, oceans, and the cataclysmic events that formed our earth, as well as a basic introduction to examining creation and evolution. Students will be able to interact with the instructor either via chat or in real-time discussion.
- Textbook – Geology for Kids (supplied by teacher)
- Geology for Kids, Geology Journal (supplied by teacher)
- Complete rock, mineral, and fossil kit from Northwest Treasures * (supplied by teacher)
- High-speed internet
- Computer/phone/ipad with camera (for live classes)
Expectations/homework: This class will require 1.5-2 hours of reading and homework each week. Homework can include things like: reading, journal projects, etc. There will be occasional quizzes.
Grading: None. Progress reports will be sent to parents.
Parent will need to be available, occasionally, to proctor quizzes/tests.
Cost: $285.00 for the Fall session, which includes:
- Geology for Kids, textbook, Geology for Kids, Geology Journal, and a complete rock, mineral, and fossil kit (60 samples, see below)*: a $162.00 value
- Weekly online instruction: $123.00 (that is about $10.00/class!)
When: Every Tuesday, at 12:15 pm PST (3:15 pm EST, 2:15 pm CST, 1:15 pm MST.)
Start date: January 11, 2022
End date: March 29, 2022
Enrollment is limited to 20 students.
- Rock-forming minerals: quartz, potassium feldspar, muscovite mica, sodium feldspar, jasper, calcite, calcium feldspar, pyroxene, amphibole, magnetite, biotite mica, olivine
- Rock samples: granite, gabbro, basalt, rhyolite, ash, tuff, volcanic bomb, cinders, gneiss, schist, quartzite, marble, shale, chert, siltstone, sandstone, conglomerate, breccia, limestone, halite, travertine, fossil limestone, chalk, bituminous coal
- Fossils: graveyard fossil, fern, clam, coral, marine reptile fossil, agatized wood, fossil cast/mold, worm tubes, gastrolith, gastropod, sea urchin, ammonite, trilobite, dinosaur bone, fossil mammal bone, leaf fossil, fossil algae, marine fossil from high in the mountains, otodus shark tooth, megalodon tooth, crinoid fossil, dugong bone, fossil fish, fossil fish vertebra
- Oceanic specimens: kimberlite, diabase, peridotite, modern coral and sea shells, white sand, green sand, black sand, magnetic sand
Samples may vary, due to availability.
For more information: firstname.lastname@example.org or 425-488-6848